India, our Motherland has been endowed with beautiful and majestic sceneries that have made it turned out well for tourism here. With more and more people concentrating on exploring the popular hill stations in India, there are still lesser known hill stations, that are still untouched by the pressures of commercialization. Staying in these quaint little hills station and their wooden guesthouses is sure to bring back olden day charm.
We have charted out 10 of these pristine unknown hill stations in India that you should check out soon before they turn mainstream:
Chaukori: Experience Nature at the Best
One of the small quaint hill stations that offer you a retreat from the mundane life, Chaukori is counted among the most unexplored tourist places in Uttarakhand. It is located in Pithoragarh district of Kumaon Himalaya and known for its tea gardens which were established by the British colonial rulers. Chaukori is the best place in Uttarakhand for witnessing the enchanting views of morning sun rays kissing the snow clad peaks of Nanda Devi, Nanda Kot and Panchauli Group of mountains.
- Best Time to Visit: Between April and June
- How to Reach:Nearest Train Station is Kathgodam from where a Taxi can be hired for Chaukori (180 kms).
Kausani: Unexplored Hill Station
Lesser known amidst the tourists in India, this valley is known for offering mesmerizing views of the Himalayan peaks Trishul, Nanda Devi and Panchchuli. Resembling Switzerland because of its densely forested pines and tea gardens, Kasauni is a pretty place to explore.
- Best Time to Visit: Between March and May
- How to Reach: Nearest Railway Station is Kathgodam from where Taxi can be taken for Kausani (64 kms).
Khati, Uttarakhand: Hidden Hill Station in Uttarakhand
One of the least known summer holiday destinations in India, Khati can be reached by trekking. Plush greenery, quaint locales and sparse population makes this small hamlet a paradise of untouched natural beauty. Khati village is located on Pindari Glacier Trek and it is the last inhabited village on the way to Pindari Glacier. Kharkiya is the last road to Khati and one needs to trek from here. The trail is lined with beautiful blend of rhododendrons and oak forests.
- Best Time to Visit: Between April and October
- How to reach: Nearest Train station is Kathgodam from where a taxi can be hired for Khati (147 kms).
Kanatal: Experience Beautiful Mornings Here
Located just 38 kms from the well known hill station of Mussoorie, Kanatal is away from the hustle and bustle of the city life. A perfect place to find apple orchards, pine forest, wild flowers and tiny temples that would soak all your exhaustion. For people who are seeking retreat from the heat of the cities, Kanatal appears to be the best pick as the temperature of Kanatal does not go beyond 28 degrees.
- Best Time to Visit: Between April to October
- How to reach: Nearest place is Mussoorie from where a taxi can be taken to Kanatal (38 kms).
Tirthan Valley: One of the Most Beautiful Hill Stations Ever
Situated besides the Tirthan River in Himachal Pradesh at an altitude of 1600 meters, Tirthan Valley is a gateway to the Great Himalayan National Park. Tirthan valley is one of the most breath-taking places in entire Himachal. Think bon-fires, music, a beautiful river and homestays that are more welcoming than 5 star hotels or resorts.
- Best time to visit: Between April to July
- How to Reach: By Road from Delhi (544kms)
Tawang, Arunachal Pradesh: Beauty from the North-East
At an altitude of over 10,000 feet, Tawang never tires of being described as tranquil and serene, along with other words that describe a place of extreme natural beauty. With Tibet on one side and Bhutan on another, Tawang presents a beautiful Buddhist dominated cultural mix. The main attraction here is the Tawang monastery, said to be the biggest Buddhist monastery in the world outside Lhasa.
- Best Time to Visit: Between March and October. Avoid the monsoon months from July to September.
- How to Reach: Tezpur is the major rail head closest to Tawang. Buses and private taxis are available to reach Tawang (319 kms)
Haflong, Assam: Hill Station with Flowers and Rivers
Also known as white ant hillock, Haflong in Assam is situated 310 km from Guwahati. The place has everything that a little hill station charm can hold for you! Home to warm locals, mostly the colorful Assamese tribes, this place beams with bright green rivers and clouds grazing the blue hills covered with as many as 2 lakh varieties of flowers. Haflong is popular among campers and nature enthusiasts. It is situated at an altitude of 680 m above sea level and is ideal for a peaceful holiday.
- Best Time to Visit:From October to April.
- How to Reach: There are regular trains from other major cities to Haflong in Assam
Yercaud, Tamil Nadu: Unexplored Hill Station of Tamil Nadu
Perfect for little walks around forested slopes, a trek or two, and boating, this is a small hill station that looks beautiful for its virgin beauty. The highest point in Yercaud is the Servarayan temple, which makes a nice day trip too. You can also check out the various parks and gardens that dot the place, apart from being mesmerized by the rock formations.
- Best Time to Visit: Between October and June.
- How to Reach: Trains from Chennai to Yercaud (337kms).
Ponmudi, Kerala: Morning Teas are Best Here
Located in the Thiruvananthapuram district, this little hill station is over run by tea gardens. Here you can watch the river Kallar, with its crystal clear waters, running down through the town. There’s also a deer park, a wildlife sanctuary and a biological park for your amusement.
- Best Time to Visit: Between October and April
- How to Reach: Trains from Kochi to Ponmudi (176 kms).
Idukki: Jewel of the South
Idukki offers you the views of pretty lake and dam. You can also spend time in Munnar, a famous tea plantation-based hill station. Since Munnar is on the popular tourist places list, you can hop across the district to Marayur, a remote village, or visit Thattekad Bird Sanctuary or Eravikulam Wildlife Santuary, amongst the many other wildlife reserves and national parks that dot the district.
- Best Time to Visit: Between October and March
- How to Reach: Nearest Railway station is Kottayam, from where you can take a bus till Idukki (Dist. 114 Km)